In less than four years, TikTok has surpassed 3 billion downloads and is used by one-third of all social media users worldwide. As compared to Facebook and Instagram, the growth of TikTok has been much more rapid.
- TikTok active users: 1 billion monthly active users.
- Market penetration: 4.8 billion people worldwide use the internet, with Bytedance’s video sharing service accounting for 20.83 percent of those users.
- Number of downloads: In the first six months of 2021, TikTok was the most downloaded non-game app, with 383 million installs between January and June.
- Company valuation: Bytedance, TikTok’s parent company, was valued at $280 billion in August 2021, according to reports.
- Engagement: TikTok is the most engaging social media app, with an average session length of 10.85 minutes, double Pinterest at rank #2 with 5.06 minutes. In 2019, the time spent on TikTok was a mammoth 68 billion hours.
- User growth: Between January 2018 and July 2020, TikTok’s global userbase grew by 1157.76 percent, while the U.S. saw a 787.86 percent growth rate. With 611 million total downloads, India has been the most significant source of TikTok installs.
- Influencer earnings: TikTok creators have of up to 100 million people and make up to $5 million a year. The categories of entertainment, dance, pranks, sports, and do-it-yourself are all very popular.
- Competition: TikTok was the 7th most popular social media app in 2021, despite its 2016 debut. Monthly active users of TikTok have overtaken the likes of Twitter and Telegram, as well as Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- United States Market penetration: Monthly U.S. TikTok users have now passed 100 million, equalling 37.36% of America’s 267.6 million mobile internet users, an 800% increase in 20 months.
- United States Demographics: TikTok’s generation Z penetration is the highest in America. 47.4% of their active users are aged between 10 and 29. However, American adults using TikTok grew 5.5 times in the last 18 months, with a 2:1 female to male gender ratio.
- United States TikTok average time: A total of 1.43 billion hours of TikTok time will be spent by adults 18 and over in March 2020, according to estimates.
When was TikTok created?
Bytedance, the parent company of TikTok / Douyin, launched the app in China in September 2016 and within a year had 100 million users. The international version of TikTok was released in September 2017 after Musical.ly was purchased by TikTok.
As of this writing, TikTok is available in 141 countries and 39 languages via the App Store and Google Play, in China it retains its original Chinese name (Douyin).
Monthly Number of Active TikTok Users
One billion people use TikTok every month.
As a result of this number, the app’s market share since 2016 has increased at one of the fastest rates ever.
TikTok Global User Penetration Statistics
- TikTok has 1 billion monthly active users.
- Out of 4.8 billion internet users worldwide, 20.83% use TikTok.
- 22.32 percent of the 4.48 billion active social media users use TikTok the majority of the time.
How popular is TikTok in the US?
- TikTok’s official monthly U.S. user count will reach 100 million by August 2020, an increase of 800% from the company’s January 2018 usage figures (based on quarterly usage).
- There are an estimated 73.7 million monthly US TikTok active users, and that number is forecasted to reach 88.7 million by 2024.
- More than a third of Americans (31.1% of the total) check their TikTok account at least once per month. Percentage usage penetration in the US is 53.9 percent for Instagram and 40 percent for SnapChat by way of comparison.
- At least once a month, 37.36 percent of the 267.6 million Americans with mobile internet access use TikTok.
- An estimated 18.68 percent of Americans who have access to mobile internet use TikTok each day, with its 50 million daily active users.
- In the United States, 37.3 percent of TikTok’s Gen Z users use the social media platform on a monthly basis.
- A total of 1.43 billion hours will be spent on TikTok by American adults aged 18 and over in March 2020.
- TikTok ranked second in daily engagement among U.S. adults, spending an average of 33 minutes per day on the platform.
TikTok AppStore & Google Play Downloads
TikTok has been downloaded 3 billion times, making it the most popular app in the first and second quarters of 2021. Outside of Facebook, TikTok is the first app to reach 3 billion downloads.
TikTok’s worldwide download figures
- Since its launch in 2016, TikTok has grown to be the most widely used video-sharing app in the world, with 383 million downloads in the first half of 2021.
- Between the first and second quarters of 2020 and 2021, TikTok received 1.36 billion downloads.
- When it comes to Q2 2021 spending, the growth of TikTok was even more impressive: $535 million. Data from Douyin on iOS in China is included in estimates of TikTok downloads, but data from third-party Android stores is excluded.
TikTok Downloads by Country (US/China/Global)
- TikTok and Douyin are now present in 141 of 155 countries.
- One-third of all smartphone users in India have downloaded TikTok to date, making India the most significant contributor to TikTok installations (611 million downloads).
- In 2019, 323 million TikTok downloads came from India, 43.76% of the 738 million global installs that year.
- China is the second-largest country for downloads for Douyin at 196.6 million to date (figures exclude third-party installs).
- A total of 165 million downloads have been made in the United States since the application was released, with Canada and the United Kingdom in fourth and fifth place, respectively.
TikTok Growth Rates of Monthly Active Users in the U.S. and Worldwide
There have been a 1,157.76 percent increase in TikTok’s global monthly users since January 2018, when there were 54.7 million users. The app has grown from 11.2 million active users in the United States to more than 100 million in the same time period.
Growth in the number of monthly active TikTok users (Worldwide)
TikTok’s international app has seen 1,157.76 percent growth since 2017 according to company filings, according to the latest figures (excluding Douyin).
- Sep 2017: TikTok launch.
- Jan 2018: 54,793,729 monthly users.
- Dec 2018: 271,188,301 (394.9% increase).
- Dec 2019: 507,552,660 (87.2% increase).
- Jul 2020: 689,174,209 (35.8% increase).
- Sep 2021: more than 1 billion users (45.1% increase).
Growth in the number of monthly active TikTok users (U.S.)
TikTok’s international app has grown in US by 787.86 percent since 2017.
- Sep 2017: TikTok launch
- Jan 2018: 11,262,970 monthly users.
- Feb 2019: 26,739,143 (137.4% increase).
- Oct 2019: 39,897,768 (19.2% increase).
- Jun 2020: 91,937,040 (130.4% increase).
- Aug 2020: More than 100 million.
These social media startups have been overtaken by TikTok since it was launched in 2016:
- Twitter – Launched in 2006 – 397 million active users
- Reddit– Launched in 2005 – 430 million active users
- Pinterest– Launched in 2010 – 478 million active users
- Snapchat– Launched in 2011 – 514 million active users
TikTok’s Revenue and Its Value
- TikTok raked in $17 billion in revenue in 2019, a significant increase from the previous year’s $7.4 billion.
- As of July 2020, TikTok / Douyin was valued at $50 billion by ByteDance investors, less than four years after it was launched.
- Bytedance, the parent company of TikTok and Douyin, has a rumored valuation of $110 to $180 billion.
- TikTok’s revenue jumped from $7.4 billion in 2018 to $17 billion in 2019.
TikTok Rank in Social Media Popularity
As of September 2021, TikTok has 1 billion active users and is the 7th most popular social network worldwide.
|Social Network||Active Users|
|Facebook Messenger||1.3 Billion|
TikTok User Demographics
More than 90% of TikTok users around the world log on to the app at least once every day, spending on average 52 minutes.
With an average session time of 10.85 minutes, it’s the most engaging social media app available right now.
TikTok Engagement Time
- The average time spent on TikTok per day is 52 minutes worldwide.
- Time spent on TikTok is skyrocketing too. In 2019, it saw a 210% year-over-year increase in engagement time on the app.
- In 2019, the time spent on TikTok was estimated to be 68 billion hours.
TikTok User Interaction Statistics
- With an average session length of 10.85 minutes, TikTok is the most engaging social media app available (double Pinterest’s 5.06 minutes, which ranks #2 for engagement),
- The TikTok app is opened eight times per day on average by Americans.
- TikTok usage has increased by 1,533 percent in the United States from 2017 to September 2019. Comparatively, Facebook saw a 26% decline and Instagram saw a 6% increase during the same time period.
- In comparison to Instagram’s 1.10 percent and Twitter’s 0.30 percent, TikTok’s accounts with 100,000+ followers have an engagement rate of 5.30 percent.
- TikTok profiles with 100,000+ followers have the highest engagement, according to a recent Influencer Marketing Hub study.
US TikTok Users by Age
- People between the ages of 10 and 19 make up 25% of TikTok’s active user accounts in the United States.
- 22.4 percent of TikTok’s active user accounts are 20-29 years old.
- 21.7 percent are between the ages of 30 and 39 years old.
- 20.3% of TikTok’s active users are between the ages of 40 and 49.
- 11% of TikTok’s active users accounts are 50+.
TikTok is used by 60% of women and 40% of men worldwide, according to demographic data collected in 2020. However, females outnumber males 2:1 in the United States.
Top TikTok Users
|TikTok User||Million Followers|
Most Popular TikTok Hashtags
Even though these are the most popular hashtags being used right now, it’s easy to get lost in the sea of content.
- # tiktok.
- # love.
- # funny.
- # memes.
- # followme.
- # cute.
- # fun.
- # music.
- # happy.
- # fashion.
TikTok’s Users Are Getting Older as the App Ages
Teens around the world are clearly enamored with TikTok. However, there is now some evidence that its user base is dwindling in stature. Because TikTok isn’t working out for them anymore, people aren’t just giving up on the app.
There are regions where this is particularly apparent. In countries such as China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, membership among 25–34-year-olds is higher than among 16–24-year-olds.
Among Arab and Muslim TikTok users, the majority are men
The typical TikTok user in the Middle East is a man in his 20s, unlike most other countries. The following countries have a higher percentage of male TikTok users than most of the rest of the world:
- Bahrain 61.3%
- Egypt 64.1%
- Kuwait 60.1%
- Oman 66.6%
- Qatar 71.8%
- Saudi Arabia 61.1%
- The United Arab Emirates 70.7%
- Turkey 63.1%
In Pakistan, where 80.7% of the country’s TikTok users are men, the male/female ratio is even more imbalanced. Males made up 90.5% of Indian TikTok users in December of last year, before the government of India decided to ban the app.
The video with the most views on TikTok ever
54.5 million people liked a TikTok video of Bella Poarch lip-syncing to Millie B’s “M To the B (Soph Aspin Send).”
Other videos on TikTok that have received a significant number of likes are:
- A video displaying Frenek Bielak drawing – 48.8 million likes
- A video displaying Nick Luciano lip-syncing to “SugarCrash!” by ElyOtto – 48.2 million likes
- ToTouchAnEmu dancing to “STAY” by The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber – 44.0 million likes
- Billie Eilish’s “Time Warp Scan” filter – 39.4 million likes
The Richest TikTok star
Will Smith is the richest of the TikTok stars. We’re not including him on this list because he makes most of his money from movies, not TikTok.
Addison Rae is TikTok’s highest-earning star, according to Forbes, with an estimated earnings of $5 million. According to Forbes, these are the next few people on the TikTok earnings list:
- Charli D’Amelio – $17.5 million
- Dixie D’Amelio – $10 million
- Addison Rae – $8.5 million
- Bella Poarch – $5 million